Thursday, April 21, 2005

All Roads One Road Headed the Same Way

As my Roman Catholic friends and I have been in contact sharing our disappointment in the election of a conservative Pope, we all brought up, over and over, our wishes for the reconciliation of the splintered Christian Faith. For this to happen, though, I believe we will need to develop mutual recognition and tolerance of alternative theological views. No one single institution can claim a monopoly on what constitues sin, on what actions or beliefs make you a good Christian, or on deciding who deserves God's grace. All versions of Christianity must be seen as different paths leading to the same destination.

In my book "You Are Here", by Katherine Harmon, I found a map created by the late Rev. Howard Finster, titled "All Roads One Road Headed the Same Way". Here is an image of it hosted by the University of Virginia.



...my favorite part is "Why Weary (sic) Which Road You Are On As Long As You Are Traveling Towards God." The map really touched me. It is crude yet direct, painted on wood, but the message transcends the media or technique: like a masterpiece drawn on the back of a napkin. I only wish I had a larger copy so I could read all of the text...

No comments: