Monday, May 16, 2005

Amidst all my junk...

So anyway I'm making my last-minute preparations for my trip to SF, and I'm shuffling papers, sorting mail, etc... and recently I just purchased a copy of "The Message //Remix"... it's a new translation of the Bible using modern, very readable language. So my copy is sitting on the coffee table, and, while sorting mail, I placed some items on top of it...

...now when I was a child I went to a Baptist Church in town, and I could just hear Mr. Vaught, my 4th grade Sunday School teacher, saying "that is no way to treat a Bible! You Never lay anything on top of your Bible. It's a letter to you from God... how would you treat a letter from your president?" (well, politics aside of what I think of our current president, the idea is that you'd frame it and hang it up for everyone to see...)

...so for years, when I cleaned my room, I never set anything on top of my Bible... but today, I just looked at it, and it was okay...

...it's not a sign of disrespect to me anymore... A real sign of disrespect would be to ignore what it has to say. And if i were ignoring it, it wouldn't be on my coffee table amidst all my junk...

No comments: