Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Defying the Pigeonhole principle... again...

So we're doing an Enneagram test with my church. I did the survey in about 15 minutes (100 or so A or B questions) and turned it in... I will find out in a few weeks what my 'type' is, a number from 1-9... I've taken the Kiersey/Jung/Briggs test before, but they usually come out tied between two or more categories...

...I couldn't wait to find out, so I found an online test at similarminds.com... I took the advanced test with 130 questions, and here is the breakdown of my answers...


Enneagram Test Results
Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||| 54%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||| 52%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||||| 66%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||||||||| 43%
Type 5 Detachment |||||| 29%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||| 49%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||||||| 61%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||||||| 61%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||||| 66%
Take Free Enneagram Personality Test


...so I tied on types 3 and 9, and types 7 & 8 are very close as well... the only thing I'm certain of is that I'm not a type 5...

I'll miss the workshop on May 21st that we're having, so I wanted to read more about what these 4 enneagram types represent. So last night I visited the new Borders over at Franklin Park and I found a book titled "The Enneagram : A Christian Perspective"
by Richard Rohr... in it, as I read each type, I found aspects that defined me rather well, while others didn't sound like me at all.

I always do this on these tests! No one category ever fits! It's some of one, some of another... more of a smorgasboard than a #4 combo meal... but no one single category ever seems predominant...

...so I wonder what this all proves? Were there easy answers for growth and self-awareness to be found if you perfectly match one type? Are the results of the test I took online different from the one I turned in?

And how many people are unique individuals that cannot be pigeonholed into 1 of 9 types? Or 1 of 16 personality types? Is there a danger of boiling down someone into a single type at the cost of ignoring the lesser aspects in favor of the predominant?

Now for the philosophical rant:
...basically, this is compunded with my lashing out against positivist quantification. Potential, reality, quality cannot be quantified, categorized, or measured. Some aspects can, but they can never truly capture the whole essence... specialization comes at the cost of losing the forest for the trees... everything is connected. You cannot reduce to the basic parts, reductionism, and claim complete knowledge without knowing the interrelatedness of the parts, how they were assembled, or why they were created... sure, you can have some understanding, but never complete understanding...

okay... I think I've answered my own question: This test is a tool to help understand yourself, not a test made up to define you. I just need to remember that...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you freakin' kidding me??? It took me like, 3 nights to do that thing! I HATE, HATE, HATE the forced choice business. I know I'm not supposed to think about it too much, but really!

And, as an aside, were you impressed with Borders? Cuz I was decidedly not.

Mapmaker in DC said...

...They're like a new vine on a new lattice... they need to grow and adjust to what people want.. .more of this, less of that, etc... Thackeray's was a robust and well pruned vine in comparison that fit well with its customers. I think the place just needs to grow....

...other than that, I was impressed at getting 50% off The Message Remix! Can't argue with that!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

First, I just have to say that I love your blog site.

I did want to point out another fact about the Myers-Briggs Test. It is supposed to be a represenation of one's preferences, not potentialities. It shows the ways in which people feel more natural and comfotable acting. I know it's colose to the point that you made at the end of your posting, but I think it's a point to remember.

- Your Friend,

Matt