Tuesday, January 24, 2006

ThunderBlizzard! ........ThunderBlizzard?!? WTF?

For a while I always liked to use the term thunderblizzard to describe the wackiest type of weather I thought possible. I thought is was impossible or at least extremely rare weather at best.

...well, as I live and breathe....

I just returned from the grocery store tonight. It was sprinkling a little as I brought in the groceries. As I was preparing supper I looked out the window and in just 10 minutes the ground and streets were covered in snow. While I was preheating the oven and watching TV I saw a bright blue flash. I thought maybe one of the kitchen lights had gone out when

KABOOOMMMmmmm..

Thunder. Blizzard. .... ThunderBlizzard...

WTF? No way!

But here I am, in Toledo, Ohio, witnessing an honest to God ThunderBlizzard.

Still, it's wacky weather, but what do you expect for this area of the country?

ADDENDUM: rather than use my name, thunderblizzard, this phenomenon is oficially called thundersnow. Wikipedia has a good writeup on it.

Also, on last night's Colbert Report, Steven Colbert did a good ribbing on thundersnow. It replays a few times today on Comedy Central. He claims this is proof that God is mad at us, and we should also expect sleet-tsunamis and flood tornados. Catch it if you can...

1 comment:

The Dno said...

A Thunder Blizzard? Now that is something to tell the grandkids as they sit on your lap inside Moon Module 24-West-5738's story room overlooking the broken yellow Earth. "Well, when I was a strapping young man, and we lived on the Earth, I saw a Thunder Blizard."
(Many Ohhhs and Ahhhs should follow.)

At least people didn't blame it on the nuclear plant.